Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Day Before 31


I recently came across a quote by a Greek author, Plutarch, 'What we achieve inwardly will change outward reality'.  Failure comes in its different forms and has helped me to find myself and become who I am today.  I always thought that failing was less than desirable; that it stunted my potential and it was something that brought shame.  Now I know that suffering is inevitable.  It takes time to heal and grow from it, but only if you do the work.  It's knowing that no matter how far we've gone, we're willing to either turn around, or find a different way to get there.   

On the eve of my 31st birthday, I realise that the older I get, the less I am controlled by what others think of me.  And in reality, I know that most people don't think about me half as much as I think they do...yet it still has a hold on me.  I could blame this neurotic behaviour on my parents and my upbringing, but I heard JK Rowling's commencement ceremony speech and she said that there's an expiration date on how long you can blame your parents for steering you wrong.  Lucky for you, I absolutely believe it.  And not only is there an expiration date for blaming your parents, there's an expiration date for blaming anyone else but yourself.  And, would you believe it, there's an expiration date for blaming yourself too.  One day you have to choose to either fight for your life, or stay forever stuck not knowing who you are and living a hollow existence.

I do believe in standing up for what I believe in.  I also believe in being compassionate and treating people with kindness.  I don't always succeed, but it's always my goal.  I believe I'm on my path; the things I love and appreciate in my life outweigh those that did not turn out the way I had hoped.

On a lighter note, Lydia starts speech therapy next month.  It's about not letting her fall further behind.  But who needs that when Lydia can count?  Check out the new video.

1 comment:

Sadia said...

I hope you have as wonderful an experience with speech therapy as we have. Melody and Jessica had their last appointment this morning!

suicidepreventionlifeline.org